'96 : REAR VIEW MIRROR REPLACEMENT

1996 Infiniti G20 • 4 cylinder FWD Manual • 215 miles

Hi Folks - hopefully this is an easy one for you:

I need to replace my (powered) driver side exterior rear view mirror, and I have the replacement mirror, but I can't figure out how to remove the triangular plastic cover panel on the inside of the door in order to expose the mounting hardware. It seems like it should just pop off, but I've tugged in every direction and don't want to break it. Please advise.

Also, is there anything non-obvious about replacing the mirror once the cover is off (e.G. Disconnecting power to mirror)?

Many thanks,
-Zach->
Vivinaut

Here are the procedures.

POWER MIRROR ASSEMBLY
Removal & Installation
Remove door trim and inner front corner cover of door.
Disconnect door mirror harness connector.
Remove harness clips and retaining bolts.
Remove mirror assembly. See Fig. 1.
Separate mirror and actuator with screwdriver wrapped in cloth to prevent scratching back of mirror.
To install, reverse removal procedure.

Thank you for your prompt response.

Forgive me for being new to some terminology here, but is "door trim" the entire panel covering the interior of the door (including door handle, window switch, speaker, etc)? If so, then I already tried removing this by removing all 6 screws holding it in place, but it still seemed stuck to the door pretty tight, and I didn't want to break anything by using brute force. How do I remove this door trim?

Also, to be clear, you're telling me that I can't simply remove the inner front corner cover without disassembling the whole door interior? (That would seem like a curious design)

Thanks again,
-Zach

Vivinaut
Yes, the door trim means the entire panel.

Our database does not have the information on the door panel removal and usually there are 2 types of door panel designs, clipped on or locked by pushing downwards and held by clips or screws.

Apart from the holding screws, if the panel is clipped on and you have to pry the clips outwards and lift the panel upwards to get it off. Wind the window down fully to facilitate the removal of the panel.

If it is the push down type, the trim should feel slightly loose after removal of the holding screws and usually you would have to remove some holding clips/screws at lower portion of the panel.

Most vehicles are designed such that the door panel has to be removed when removing the door side mirror. Even if you can get it off, the wire couplers are usually under the door panel.