IS THIS AN AXEL PROBLEM, BRAKES OR CV BOOT?

1996 Honda Civic • 170,000 miles

When the 5 speed hatchback is in reverse, there is a squeaking sound. Also there is a squeaking sound occasionally after driving for about 20 minutes. I am getting the brakes looked out, and think I need pads and probably rotors. Need to know what to expect when I go in to the brake shop, or should I go to a larger shop who can work on more? Also- I have replaced the cv boots twice before, my mechanic never could tell me why. PS- I don't have a local mechanic at this time and of course am short changed. What to do? Thanks for any advice.
Gherbert123

I would start by checking the brakes. This is something you can do yourself. Go to our homepage under the DIY section for directions. If you have other questions, let me know.

Thanks. Could the car in reverse (no brakes on) squeaking be possibly the brakes? I am unable to check the brakes myself, and on Monday will have the brakes looked at and hope for the best. What I want to prepare myself for are other expensive possibilities. Thanks for the help.

Gherbert123
As far as the noise, there are sensors that are designed to make noise when the pads wear out. They will make a noise in drive or reverse. As far as the cost, you could replace pads and rotors yourself for under 75.00. However, a shop will charge up to 200.00. If you want, let me know what they tell you before you okay the work and I will tell you if it sounds right or if they are taking advantage of you. Let me know.

Thank you- I wish I could work on the brakes myself.

Gherbert123
It really isn't that hard if you have some basic tools. On our homepage under the DIY section are directions that walk you through the process. Plus, I'll be here to help if you run into trouble. Once you do it once, you will do it all the time.

So I took the car in- yes the front brakes needed pads and rotors- I saw them and they were really worn. $210 (I live in San Francisco, everything is ridiculous) Then they asked me if I wanted my back brakes cleaned ( as I watched them take the back wheels off and all this dust came off. $40, well, ok I say, knowing I am getting ripped off, as they spray some kind of cleaner on the back. ( I am miserable at this point.) I am watching the guy do the work thinking I COULD have changed the brakes- then I see the cv boot is split badly and I ask about that. They tell me I can replace the axel and cv boot. Why not just the cv boot? (What a waste to replace the entire axel) and the guy tells me this is how it is done now- whole component, no repacking the bearings, whole deal, and of course labor. I have had the cv boot replaced twice (once for free by my old mechanic). Total retail price $460, brakes, axel, cv boot- then I had to ask to then to check my air tire air pressure. Brakes are good now, no noise, no odd sounds on steering. . And yet I feel I was hood winked on the replacing the axel and "cleaning " the back brakes. Tell me it aint so Joe. Thanks for your help though

Gherbert123
Honestly, that is what they do with axles. They replace the half shaft, which is a new axle, joints, and boots all in one. It is the standard now. If you add in the labor for repairing the old joint, repacking, and the boot, you are actually further ahead replacing it. As far as cleaning and adjusting the rear brakes, that is a good idea. It will help save the front pads.

All in all, I think you did okay. I'm glad I don't live there with the prices.

Try to have a good Thanksgiving and let me know if you have other questions.

Thanks for your reply. I still can't grasp replacing everything 'new', gone are the days of rebuilding things and repairing? Now it's throw away and replacing, I am a dinosaur still thinking I am in my grandfather's garage watching him refurbishing cars. He would not be proud of his granddaughter not changing the brakes or oil herself. Glad you got the Joe quote. Be well and I appreciate your assistance.
Happy Thanksgiving!

Gherbert123
I agree with you. THings are different anymore. Anytime you have a question, let us know. And, Happy Thanksgiving to you too.

My car (recently repaired, thanks for your comments) was stolen from in front of my house yesterday. Unbelievable. I guess old Honda Civics take 3 seconds to get into, at least that's what the police told me. I am hopeful in the next 15 days I have (insurance claim) it is somehow recovered and will be able to be ok, with minor repair. However, that probably is being very optimistic, even in my stage of dismay, do you have any suggestions to used cars that might be a good buy used? I loved my simple, high mileage (bought it new in 1996 because it got 40 miles to the gallon, nothing on it, manual trans, no air, roll up windows.) I have looked a little at used cars today, the Scion, Yaris, Civic- but even used, seem priced high for a little used, simple car, plus they have all this stuff on it. Any American cars I should be looking at? Good miles to the gallon, and simple is my priority, and am discouraged to see there isn't anything looking good. My ol' Civic was the perfect car for me, which is why I hung on to it. ( I am short and little and the size never bothered me.) Any advice would be appreciated. I am writing so you could laugh at my previous brakes anx, and then some thief makes off with it. I am so mad. Be well.

Gherbert123
Page 1 of 2