STARTER BUZZES, ENGINE WON'T TURN OVER

1996 Honda Civic

I was starting my car this morning, and the first time I turned the key, everything seemed normal for about a second (sounded like there was plenty of power, and the engine turned over a few times). I let off on the key and the starter buzzed briefly and the engine stopped running.

Repeated attempts to start my car after that were unsuccessful. Turning the key only resulted in a buzzing sound. The buzzing sound is similar to or the same as the sound that occurs when you turn the ignition when the car is already on.

What could the problem be, and what should I do?
Jonderry

Start by checking the fuse and fuseable links, If OK, then remove and clean battery connections.

Mmprince4000
There is a difference between a grinding noise like the engine is already running and a fast clicking that would indicate a low voltage reaching the starter problem. Check all you cable and ground connections if it's the clicking your getting. If it's the grinding, then you likely have a bad starter.

Wrenchtech
I just checked it again, and it's actually not the same as when the engine is on. It's not clicking either. This time, the engine was sort of turning over, but not very orderly. I don't think it's due to lack of power because I know what a weak, struggling battery sounds like.

I took a short video (with audio) of it. Is there a way to get that up here?

Jonderry
. The way I would describe it is that it sounds exactly like when it starts normally, except instead of the pulsing "duht-duht-duht" sound that becomes higher pitched until the engine fires, it more just a continuous sound that reaches a high pitch (the same pitch that is reached when the car starts normally), but it doesn't go "duht-duht-duht" when it reaches the starter reaches that high pitch.

Jonderry