OVERHEATING CAR

1996 Honda Civic

I have a 1996 Honda civic. 2 days ago my car went all the way over the H. I put water and coolant in it, but it was still over heating. I was 20 mins away from my house and I had no one to call cause I left my phone at the house. About every 5 mins I had to pull over and put water in my car. The water kept my car cool for about 3 mins. When I was almost home, white smoke started coming out from the exhaust pipe. There was so much smoke coming out of it I couldn't even see the cars behind me. Every time I trying driving my car it over heats really fast. What could cause this to happen?
Sandy55

White smoke from the exhaust usually indicates a blown head gasket. Are you still adding coolant? Is there still smoke from the exhaust? Have you checked the motor oil to see if the coolant has contaminated it? Let me know.