SPUTTER OR JERKING MOTION AT 60-65MPH

1996 Geo Prizm • 4 cylinder FWD Automatic • 178,000 miles

I have a 1996 Geo Prizm. About a week ago, it started to sputter (seems like it is not getting gas?) When I would reach 70-75mph on the highway. It didn't always do it and it does not a low speeds. Then today it wouldn't let me go over 65mph, let alone 60. I have changed my BWD distributor cap, PCV valve, Distributor rotor, Spark plugs and wires. I have tried Seafoam, and nothing seems to be helping. Pressure? Fuel filter? Pump? No check engine light or anything? Please Help! Thanks so much, Jennifer

Jenbe1521

There could be an injector failure. Try getting a real injector service that will clean the injectors.

Alright! Thank you! I will give that a try. Anything I can do for the ride home? I have a 45 min drive home, just trying to make it to work. Now trying to make it home? Bad idea on my part.

Jenbe1521
Add some injector cleaner that goes in the tank from a parts store.

I have tried seafoam, it didn't make a difference that I noticed. Although I didn't add it on an empty tank. I made it home just fine going 65-70 on the way home, no problem at all. Maybe the heat affects it? I am not sure? I really appreciate all your help! You guys are great! : )

Jenbe1521
Alright, so I just replaced my fuel filter today and it still is not running right at high speeds. I did just dump a whole bottle in my tank today of seafoam. When my bf took out the car after the fuel filter, he said it still sputtered at 65mph, when he shifted into neutral he stopped even when he kept his foot on the gas. Someone suggested spraying out the air flow max? With a cleaner? Any ideas? Much appreciated!

Jenbe1521
Cannot clean a mass air flow. The carbon gets impregnated on the sensor. You would have other issues if it was bad.
Additives in the gas tank have little or no effect on the injectors. You need a direct injection into the injector from a service from a shop to clean the injectors.