MY AC IS SHOT. THE FREON MUST HAVE LEAKED OUT. CAN I JUST CUT THE BELT THAT RUNS THE AC OR IS MORE STUFF CONNECTED WITH THAT INNER BELT?

1996 Geo Prizm • 155,000 miles

I can't take the ac unit off, can I just cut the belt so I don't have to worry about it since it goes over the tension wheel? Or is more stuff connected to that belt route?
RJV

Shot meaning it's noisy? Cant cut belt if it drives any other necessary accessories.

Fixitmr
I had already ripped out all those hoses that ran up from the AC unit. It looks like the inner belt runs around the ac unit, the main pulley and a tension wheel.

RJV
I was wondering why you want to cut belt? Thats why I asked if it's noisy?

Fixitmr
No noise, but I bought the car with the AC not working. I don't want to worry about replacing the belt anymore and I would like to also see about taking the AC unit out to lighten the car weight to get better mileage.

RJV
Ok, if there is nothing besides idler and compressor on that belt have at it. Although in my opinion it is not going to save on mileage.

Fixitmr