WHY DOES MY START WELL, AND THEN GOES TO LIMP MODE WHEN WARM?

1996 Ford Windstar • 223,000 miles

I have a 1996 Ford Windstar that has currently done 233,000kms. I have driven the car without issue for 1000kms over the last month. The only thing it did have was an engine warning light that came on, but no problems were noticable. The warning light was cylinder 4 and 5 misfire.

Yesterday, when I was leaving Vancouver, a few noticable issues started to happen with the engine. I was coasting at around 80kph in top gear. All of a sudden, when slowing down for corners and climbing hills, the transmission seemed to miss a gear, and drop down a gear, causing the engine to rev and the car to stutter. After a brief stop the car continued to do the same, and then dropped into Limp Mode, cruising in 2nd gear until I got it home. It only stuttered when it was changing gear.

I started the car this morning from cold, and there was no issue at all. The car was running like normal. However, after 10-15 mins of driving, the car briefly stumbled, and then went back to Limp Mode. Could this be something to do with the TRS? Any idea what could be causing this?
Wallsey

I believe that you are having an issue with the torque converter shuttering. Common failure. I would get it to a trans shop for a check up before it lets you down permanently. It most likely will have to be overhauled.

Thanks for your advice. I guess I was just surprised that it happened so quickly. One minute perfectly fine, and the next causing quite a lot of problems. Reading some more information about the potential torque converter problem, the car also shook whilst driving (only once mind you). After I pulled over the car seemed to carry on as normal and be in Limp Mode. As a guess, is a Torque converter an expensive fix, require a new rebuild or relatively straight forward. I have half a mind to scrap the car if it costs too much.

Thanks again

Wallsey
Most likely a full rebuild. The converter puts metal in the trans when it fails and it would contaminate the trans.

Thanks. Im going to check the trans fluid tomorrow when I change it. If I dont find any metallic parts, could it be something else? Are those trans fluid fixes any good for this sort of issue, or will it just get worse?

Wallsey
The additives are not too bad on good trans. Not for one with a serios issue like yours. Sorry, no easy fix for this