TURN SIGNALS NOT WORKING

1996 Ford Thunderbird • V8 2WD Automatic • 105,000 miles

1996 Ford Thunderbird. Turn signals do not work. Even the turn signal dash lights won't flash. Have changed the switch and checked the fuses but they still do not work. Any ideas?

Bulldog663

Are the hazards working?

When turn signals don't indicate, there is a power supply problem. It could be a bad switch, broken wires or unplugged socket connections.

Turn signals both outside and on dash do not work and hazards do not work. All brake lights work and headlights both high and low beams work. The brake lights didn't work until we saw a trick online to spray WD40 in hazard switch and wiggle it and the brake lights all started working but still no turn signals or flashers. We then replaced the turn signal multi switch and same problems. So we figure it is specific to the turn signal/hazard but don't know where to start.

Bulldog663
Here are the schematics of the lighting diagrams.

I would suggest starting with the electronic flasher.

This looks really confusing. Any advice or pointers on how to start/do?

Bulldog663
With a test lamp or DVOM, check for battery voltage at the Orange/Yellow wires.

When hazard lights are turned on, check for battery voltage at the White/Red wire. If voltage is available and not coming out of the electronic flasher Light blue wire, the electronic flasher unit is faulty or has insufficient ground.

I can do most anything on a car, but when it comes to the wiring/electrical I'm dumbfounded. I tried looking for the electronic flasher unit and came up blank. I need it explained like your telling your ten year old son. Or, do you have any idea of a ballpark on how much it will cost to have someone do it? Thanks for all your help.

Bulldog663
I don't have any diagrams to show you where the exact location of the electronic flasher is. It is located behind dash, left of steering column.

I am not able to assess the estimator in our database so am not able to provide any extimated costing. Replacement of the electronic flasher isnto a difficult job and should take less than an hour.

We have been looking lower left of the steering column as you sit in the seat. Do we need to take the dash out where the gauges are? Is it higher than we are looking between the fuse box and steering column? Is it squarish with three prongs? I looked it up on auto parts website and this is what it showed.

I really appreciate your help. We purchased this car for our son's graduation gift a month ago. It runs top notch and everything except the turn signal flashers work great. If we can get this fixed it will be a great car for him to get started.

Bulldog663
No need to take the dash out. Look from under the steering column and you should be able to see it. It shold be somewhere near the fuse box but I am not able to describe the exact location.

Yes, it should be a 3 prong rectangular box type relay.

It is fixed! We couldn't find the electronic flasher but had seen a wire by itself that we thought might be for an option not on the car. Well we took a chance and plugged the flasher into it and the signals worked. So evidently someone had removed the electronic flasher and not replaced it.

I wanted to thank you for all your help and patience. Your help was invaluable.

Bulldog663
Page 1 of 2