STRANGE TRANSMISSION PROBLEM

1996 Ford Taurus • V8 FWD Automatic • 130 miles

My transmission slips occasionally but not constantly. At certain times if I try to pull out from a stop it will slip and take 5-10 seconds for the car to move. The part I don't understand is that once the car begins to move it will only go 3-4 mph tops in any forward gear (D-2-1). I can put the car into reverse and it moves normal in reverse. I can physically feel the transmission drop into each gear as I move the shifter but as I said, the car will only go a few mph. The second part I don't understand is that I can leave the car sit for a few hours or days and start it back up and it will work just fine for a few days or maybe a few weeks before this happens again. Sometimes I can drive the car a thousand miles without this happening and sometimes I can only go a couple hundred miles before it does this again. Fluid level is good, I changed the fluid and filter about 4K miles ago and noticed no major metal shavings on the pan magnet. Another thing I should note is that the car is "doggy" and feels like it does not have the power or acceleration that it should have at slower speeds and low rpms. I have owned and been working on ford cars and trucks since I have been driving (12 years) but this is my first front wheel drive vehicle. I have never experienced these type of symptoms before in any vehicle. I've experienced bad transmissions and torque converters in the past but this situation is different due to the fact that sometimes the car is driveable and sometimes not, and just in case you are wondering, the weather or temperature has no affect on if this will happen or not, I've had it happen on a dry sunny 70 degree day and also on a 20 degree snowy day, if that matters at all. Any input and advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!
Bigbadfords

Have you tried to retrieve for trouble codes?
When vehicle does not pick up speed, is the engine revving very high?

Symptoms indicates a possible fault with the valve body or shif solenoids.

I have not retrieved any codes. When the car won't pick up speed the engine is not revving high, engine operation is 100% normal, it just feels like the car is trying to pull out from a stop in 4th gear, or similar to a parking brake being stuck on, that is the best way I can describe what it feels like. Thanks

Bigbadfords
That is an indication the transmission could be be stuck in "limp" mode and it could be a fault with the controls or torque converter.

Get a san done to check for trouble codes. There is a high possibility there would be some which would help to diagnose the problem.