WAGON HAS SERVICE ENGINE LIGHT AND O/D OFF LIGHT BLINGKING BEFORE/AFTER TRANNY SOLENOIDS REPLACED

1996 Ford Taurus • 6 cylinder FWD Automatic • 101,000 miles

1996 Ford Taurus Wagon. Service engine light on. Blinking O/D off light. Replaced 3 solenoids in transmission. Was led to believe that was it. Got it back and not even half way down the road the service engine light comes on again. After taking it up to higher speeds I discover that it doesn't engage 4th gear quite right and 5th gear will not engage at all.
My question is this. First, how many solenoids are in the transmission?
would that bulletin you spoke of in another post apply to this situation? Here is that info I speak of.
There may be a technical service bulletin for the code P0760. Performace Shift solenoid C stuck closed. I have a vehicle with this code and I checked the solenoids and all 3 are fine. The bulletin states that the retainer clip for the forward clutch control valve in the valve body might be broken, causing the trans not to be able to shift into overdrive and setting the shift solenoid C stuck closed code. You will need a revised clip and check to see if the valve body is damaged. The ford part number is F8DZ-7F194-AA.
i don't want my mechanic to try to short change me by saying I need a new transmission when it could be something as simple as what you described.
I asked them to replace any parts while it is apart so I could get the check engine light off and the O/D light to stop blinking.
They claim it is normal for the O/D light to blink. I think its b.S. And they are trying to fool me cuz they really don't know why. I will try to get them to give me all the codes from the scanner so I can give them to you but I have a sneaky suspicion it is either what you said or maybe a bad computer? Problem is, where I live you have to pass smog checks and you cant do that with a service engine light on and ive already paid them 845 dollars to replace all the solenoids and they handed me back 3 and that that was it.I have read online that there are 5. Can you please help shed some light on this to start with. I cannot afford to be drained of my money as I was just in a head on collision and this was supposed to be my "new" car after my accident (which was not my fault btw).I feel like they are gonna try to take the easy way out and I can't afford to keep dumping money into this repair when they are the ones who can't seem to fix things right. Any help on this would be great, thanks in advance.

dj
Reldvs

Trans problems with fords are nightmares! If it was me I would get a different car!

Fixitmr
I hope I did not have to pay 5 bux for that answer cuz its too late for that. This IS the car I just bought and this IS the car I HAVE to repair. I have sunk too much money and the car is in excellent condition and running except for the problem I greatly detailed above. Again, I will update with codes on Monday but I feel like my donation should not have to go to such an unhelpful answer. Thanks anyway for the reply but I need more.

Reldvs
Hi reldvs,

Let me know the trouble codes, engine type and transmission model and I will see what I can come up with.

Ok, I went and got the "autozone" read code, who btw was also who I got the code read by BEFORE

CODE P0761 V6 with 3.0L trans type I have to wait till monday to get but will.

But get this. SAME code before he replaced ALL the solenoids. SAME code after I spent 845 on it to be fixed.

This is why I refer back to the tech bulletin about the "broken retainer clips" I referenced in my original post.

Reldvs
I FOUND THIS ON A TAURUS OWNERS FORUM AFTER HOURS AND HOURS OF SEARCHING. FOR FREE.

There's a TSB for that exact problem TSB 98-10-7 - my sister had to have it done on her car.

"TSB 98-10-7 TRANSAXLE - AX4N - NO 4TH GEAR AND DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODES (DTCS) P0734 AND/OR P0761 FOR 1996-98 TAURUS/SABLE AND 1995-98 CONTINENTAL, AND DTC 648 FOR 1994-95 TAURUS/SABLE TRANSAXLE - AX4N - RETAINING CLIP FOR FORWARD CLUTCH CONTROL VALVE - SERVICE TIP

Publication Date: MAY 26, 1998

FORD: 1994-1998 TAURUS
LINCOLN-MERCURY: 1994-1998 SABLE
1995-1998 CONTINENTAL

ISSUE: No 4th gear operation (no 3-4 shift) and Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) P0734 and/or P0761 or 648 may occur on some vehicles. This may be caused by a broken retaining clip in the valve body that secures the forward clutch control valve and spring in place.

ACTION: Replace broken forward clutch control valve retaining clip with revised forward clutch control valve retaining clip. Refer to the following Service Procedure for details.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

Inspect for a broken retaining clip by removing the valve body and then the valve body separator plate. Inspect the forward clutch control valve, spring, retaining clip, and valve body casting for damage (Figure 1).

Figure 1 - Article 98-10-7

If the clip is broken and the forward clutch control valve and/or valve body casting is damaged, replace the main control. The retaining clip has just been revised to prevent the chance of breakage. The revised Retaining Clip (F8DZ-7F194-AA) has circular cutouts on the side of the clip in place of the square cutouts on the previous design level clip (Figure 2).

Figure 2 - Article 98-10-7

Inspect the new main control (if required) before installing it and replace this retaining clip for the forward clutch control valve and spring if it's not the new design (Figure 2).
Any time service is required on any AX4N transaxle main control, inspect the retaining clip for the forward clutch control valve to be sure it is the latest design level, and replace the retaining clip if it is not. The revised clip is larger and will remain centered in the valve body casting groove.

PART NUMBER PART NAME
F8DZ-7F194-AA Forward Clutch Control Valve Retaining Clip"

What do you think now? I am getting the exact same problem? This is why I am pushing this idea so much. Others I have found have had the same issue with the same symptoms.

Reldvs
Im still having the SAME problems and ive seen no new replies. Is there no "EXPERTS" on here? Update, I am looking at replacing the PRNDL switch as this is what I was led to believe is the next thing on the ever growing list of things to fix.I am beginning to believe the fixitmr had it right and I should have never gotten a FORD. But it is too late, I need answers that will FIX my problems. Come on guys.I paid 5 bux and I have answered more of my questions than anyone else. Where are my PROS at?

Reldvs
Sorry for the delay in responding. The site has just been through an upgrade and many things are not working correctly so I was not notified of your response till today.

There are 2 different transmisison type for Taurus and you have not provided me with the model type yet.

Have you performed the checks according to the TSB?

Sorry for missing this out.

The bulletin is for AX4N so can you confirm if your transmission is this model?

Yes my model trans is the AX4N they say that its not the clip but I can't get them to try it honestly. They are claiming its the PRNDL switch and that those clips if broken would not allow me to shift at all. As it is now. My car still does the SAME thing and I am waiting on this switch to get in.
If you require any additional info, just ask me. Ill be happy to get what ever I can to help.

Reldvs
The bulletin specifically indicates it would not upshift to 4th, meaning 1, 2 or 3 would work. The clip would depend on which valve is faulty.

Seems the guys who did the job is not willing to go all the way and it would be a good idea to get a second opinion.