1996 Ford Ranger Repair Question
Ford Ranger Panel Problem
1. Drain coolant from radiator.
2. Disconnect heater hoses from heater core, and plug openings.
3. In passenger compartment, remove the instrument panel. See INSTRUMENT PANEL .
4. Remove heater air plenum chamber (18471).
5. Remove heater core from heater air plenum chamber. For installation, follow removal procedures in reverse order.
Fig. 3: Installing Heater Air Plenum Chamber
Removal & Installation
1. Disconnect battery ground cable (14301).
2. Disconnect wiring connectors in engine compartment.
3. Remove two bolts retaining hood latch control handle and cable (16916) and lower cable and two bolts attaching parking brake release.
4. Remove upper series console, if equipped. Refer to procedure in Removal and Installation,Upper Series Console in this section.
5. If Ranger, move transfer case control to far forward position.
6. Remove instrument panel steering column cover (04459) by removing two (2) screws and pulling on cover to release grasshopper clips.
7. Remove bolt to bracket at right of accelerator pedal.
8. Remove instrument panel steering column reinforcement by removing six (6) screws.
9. Remove TK yoke by removing two (2) nuts from cross vehicle beam.
10. Open fuse panel door, and remove two (2) bolts attaching instrument panel to cowl (A pillar beam).
11. On right side of instrument panel lower, remove one (1) bolt.
12. Remove one (1) threadless fastener and two (2) pushpins attaching insulator to lower right hand instrument panel .
13. Lift edge of defroster grille, using a flat wooden dowel, then pull up on defroster grille to release clips and tension tabs. Remove defroster grille.
14. Remove four (4) bolts at top of instrument panel.
15. Disconnect all electrical connections at rear of instrument panel.
16. Remove instrument panel.
17. If replacing instrument panel, transfer all components to new instrument panel.
17,780 answers provided