FORD PROBE ALTERNATOR PROBLEM

1996 Ford Probe • 114,000 miles

The alternator and the battery has a full charge, BUT the belts starts to squeal and the charging systems starts to discharge for several moments. Then it corrects itself. What is the issue? We have replaced the alternator and the belt and checked the connections. All the belts are tightened properly. Everything checks out properly. I AM GOING CRAZY!
Lauerandson

Serpentine belt replacement is suggested at 60,000 miles along iwth the tensioner. Have the belt checked for alignment.

It's not a serpentine belt. The is for the alternator, water pump and crank. There is a separate belt for power steering and a/c.
Thank you for your response.

Lauerandson
In that case, using a belt tension gauge adjust both of them.

Both belts are at 1/2 inch of deflection as per the manual. This is why I don't understand why it's making such a squeal and discharging. I made sure everything is to spec. And double and triple checked so there could be no doubt. The Alternator is new and so is the belt. Once the squeal goes away the Alternator charges at 14.5 volts which is good. While it is squealing it charges at 11.2 volts. I used a continuity tester and checked all of my fusible links and leads going to and coming from the alternator. Everything checks out fine. This is why I'm so confused. I would like to thank you for taking your time to try to help. Have a great holiday.

Lauerandson
Deflection is kind oaf absic way to chec betltension. That is why is said use a betl tension gauge if you have one. Then check your battery for charge and load test it the squeal has to be something in the alternator from what you describe like abearing or something similar. Other than that without actually seeing it I have no answer.

I'm thinking that maybe it's in the alignment of the alternator. After 2 alternators and the same symptom and the electrical system seems fine.
I gave the battery a full charge and load tested it and all are in the green. I self tested the alternator and also took it to be tested at the shop I used to work at. Well, at any rate the only other thing I can think of is the alignment. I would like to thank you again for your time and for your assistance.

Lauerandson
You only need to usea straight edge to checkalignment. If you wul have said something about replacing two other alternators and haveing the same problem then we cold have looke in anothre direction. Also look on the belt to see if the edges are frayed if they are then that wold tell you whici direcctection to check for alignment. Also there should be One washer behing alternator pulley, see if there are two if there are two remove one. You can also usea bar of soap to rub on belt to see if that eleimnates the squeal as that could let you know more specifically about alignment. It sholdn't discharge when first strated however and alignment wouldn't cause thatI don't think

Thank you for your input, I just went out to the garage and I added spacers to the front of the alternator. So far, so good. I did use soap to try to stop the squeal. Also I checked the belt for frays and it had a little damage in the back which would make it too far to the front. I think I have it beat for now. Thank you again for you assistance and your time. Have a great day.

Lauerandson