TRANSMISSION WON'T SHIFT

1996 Ford F-150 • 110,000 miles

Just put a rebuilt 4.6 in my son's '96 f-150. Engine starts, but transmission won't engage in any gear. What did I do wrong?
Drunge

I know this is a stupid question but you did hook up the converter?

Do you have the right amount of fluid in the tran?

Is the linkeage hooked up on the trans?

Converter is connected, linkage is hooked up, and we added tranny fluid (2 quarts) in afterward. The level appears to be ok.

Drunge
Sounds like something broke. Did you have the converter out?

Converter was not removed, I believe that it was in secureley when we bolted the converter to the flywheel. Did not require extra force to fit the engine to the tranny case. We are wondering though, if the converter punched into the pump when we re-installed. Trans. Guy looking at it tomorrow. Thanks for all of your suggestions, guys! I really appreciate it. Dave

Drunge
I bet your issue is at the converter

good luck

Took it in to the transmission shop. Apparently we accidentally stabbed the pump with the torque converter. : ( Anyway, $1800 later should be good as new! Thanks for the suggestions. Matt (son.)

Mdacrunge
It happens, the ears on the converter are very fragile