I GOT A CODE 0500

1996 Ford Explorer • 228,000 miles

My speedometer/odometer do not work and I have already replaced the vss and the rear speed sensor and still no change in the problem. My speedometer also bounces sometimes at high speeds
Jmiller34

Check the wiring. A shop with a scan tool can verify bymonitoring any signal sent to pcm from the trans. It may be the gear inside the trans on the output shaft.

I got it scanned by autozone but im guessing there scanner isnt as detailed as a shops scanner would be. Also I had checked wiring and it had some bare spots on it. I fixed them but still nothing is there a fuse or relay that controls the vss and rear speed sensor

Jmiller34
No, you will need help to find this failure. Free code checks never identify bad parts, just failed systems.

I got a multimeter im actually an rv technician im pretty handy with it but anyways I tried to check the wires for voltage but im not getting any volts on either sensor

Jmiller34
Im trying to avoid spending the 100 dollars for the ford house to diagnose the problem. Im just wondering if they should be reading 12 volts dc or if they are a lower voltage

Jmiller34
It is a signal generator. You need a scan tool.

Ok thanks alot for the help at least I know I need to take it to a shop

Jmiller34
Good luck

One last thing if there is a bunch of bare wire would that effect the signal if I just electrical taped it or should I just run new wire

Jmiller34
They must be isolated and tapped separately to operate correctly.