I WAS TOLD THAT THE OXYGEN SENSOR IS BAD AND I HAD ERROR CODES OF PO158, PO160 AND PO162. WHAT DOES THIS MEAN?

1996 Dodge Avenger • 118,000 miles

I just bought the car and took it to O'Reillys to have them plug it into the computer as the check engine light goes off and on. They told me that I have a bad oxygen sensor and that I had error codes of po158, po160 and po162. What does this mean and is it something I need to have fixed immediately?
Charju

Fault codes never say to replace parts. They provide information on which circuit needs further diagnosis. Three related fault codes suggests something is wrong other than the sensor itself although the sensor is normally the most likely suspect. I'd start by checking the wiring harness to see if it fell down onto hot exhaust parts or a sharp metal bracket. Also look for corroded connector pins to the sensor. Ignoring that could lead to more damaged wires in the harness. If it is just a bad sensor, you'll be wasting gas and in a severe case the catalytic converter could overheat, melt, and become plugged. That's a REAL expensive repair that can be avoided.