CHEVROLET CAVALIER GAS PROBLEM

1996 Chevrolet Cavalier • 160,000 miles

My engine is running rough. It seems fine in park. When the car is in drive it rocks lightly front to back. There is a slight rough rattle coming from under the hood. I made the mistake of putting in some pretty crummy gas about two days ago and this started about 3 hours later. The last time I took it to have the codes read, I was told the place by the pedals that the machine hooks up to did not work. Is there some way to test this with out the code reading device?Please advise.
Echestner

If the Data Link connector (DLC) does not work, you need to find out what is causing it. It could be a blown fuse or the scan tool used was not compatible.

As to your problem, bad gas can cause misfirings and were the gas drained and replenished with new gas?
Check the spark plugs to see if any had fouled. Add some fuel booster to see if it helps.