DRIVERS WINDOW PROBLEMS

1996 Cadillac El Dorado • 111,000 miles

My drivers window goes down when activating the drivers door switch, but will not go back up. I have tested the motor by jumpering and can get the window to go up and down by putting 12V of power to the motor terminals. I replaced the door switch with a used switch and the window would go down, but not back up. Just like the original door switch. I have tested the connector and wiring from the motor wiring connector and circuit to door switch is fine.

I'm stumped. Seems like it has to be the door switch, but the replacement one I tried did not fix the issue. How can I test the door switch? Seems like I should be able to test across the red / black and brown/blue wires. HELP PLEaSE
Nosnews45

Are you just using one wire with 12volts to activate the motor up and down?

Yes, I discontect the connector at the motor, have run a wire from the red wire on main drivers door switch, to one side of the motor and then another wire I ground to the car door. Depending upon wheter I want the window to go up or down, I reverse the wires and everything goes up/down smoothly. Seems like the up side of the main window switch is not grounding. Isnt the position of the switch when not being used nuetral, and when the switch is moved to raise or lower the window power is introduced, to complete a circuit?

Nosnews45
If it goes up and down sounds like the switch -it should be in the neutral position before you engage the switch to up or down-

Bought a new switch, solved the problem. The switch I got from the junkyard was bad. Who would have guessed you could have the same problem with 2 switches. Live and learn. Thanks.

Nosnews45
It's rare, but not unheard of, especially when talking about junkyard electrical components. Glad to hear all is well. Be sure to tell your friends about us.

Closing thread.

Rivermikerat