POSSIBLE FUEL PROBLEMS

1996 BMW 316 • 2WD Manual • 70 miles

My 1996 BMW 316i (compact) began to sputter every once in a while…. Sporadically over the past month. Today, it started fine, and then when I went to drive away, it began to lose power. As I put the car in neutral and pressed the gas in high RPS to warm up the car; the car began to act normally. Once I started driving again, it continued to sputter, and then the problem went away. Upon driving around 40-60 miles per hour, the car began to lose power again, but quickly regained speed. It now seems as though, I have to warm up the car for 10-15 minutes before I drive, then it will act normal. However, when I go to accelerate and change gears…. The car sputters for a second then catches up again.
Ltmjapan

Send the last 7 of the VIN so I can ID the car.

Dr. Hagerty
617404D

Ltmjapan
The last 7 of the VIN will be 2 letters followed by 5 numbers

Dr. Hagerty
Sir, sorry. It is FR74074 and it is a 1999 BMW 316i

Ltmjapan
The M43 motor was not sold in the US market and I dont have experience with them. Your mechanic should start with the easy stuff like fuel pressure and delivery, fuel contamination, stored fault codes and so on.

Dr. Hagerty