WHAT TO CHECK AND WHERE TO START FOR A EGR TROUBLE CODE ON A

1995 Toyota Pickup • 330,000 miles

It never showed a trouble code until after I had my exhaust manifold repaired and I reinstalled it, the exhaust manifold bolts had stripped out and a couple were missing, which caused the manifold to warp a little. I have attempted to check the egr valve, I revved the engine up to 2000 rpm and checked for movement but did not see any. Then I removed the vacuum hose and revved it up again and there was suction. I don't have a hand vacuum pump to test the valve itself! I have also checked the condition of the different lines. Any thoughts or ideas?
CaseyT

What is the code?

Fixitmr
Did you do anything with/to EGR at time of repair?

Fixitmr
Code 71. No I removed the heat shroud and bolts, then my manifold was surfaced and the bolt holes were re-threaded and a few got inserts I think they call it. And then it was put back together. After driving about 15 miles the code came up. Checked visually and noticed the EGR valve wasnt tightened on, so I tightened and reset. After about 30 miles the code came back on.

CaseyT
You either dont have it hooked up right or modulator is not working right or you have a blocked passage. That's if EGR is good.

Fixitmr
Hello again, I found a clogged tube on the side of the egr valve when I was inspecting it, so I removed the egr valve, and cleaned it with carb cleaner and brushes. I also checked and cleaned the different hoses one by one, and the egr modulator I opened and blew out the filter, and then put it all back together. My check engine light has not come back on, but I read that to do a check that you remove the hose from the top of the egr valve and hook up a hand vacuum pump and that when it opens, the engine should hesitate or stall and if it doesnt that it is no good and needs to be replaced. I did that and nothing happened, so my question is, is that test true and or accurate?

CaseyT