TEMPERATURE GAUGE

1995 Toyota Corolla • 1.6L 4 cylinder FWD Automatic • 251,000 miles

Here recently since the weather has gotten cold I have noticed that when start my car up in the mornings and let it warm up the temperature gauge will go up to about halfway which is normal but once I start driving it will drop all the way down to the C, until I idle then it goes back up again, my gas mileage has decreased significantly and I can smell fumes(oil or fuel im not sure) when I accelerate from a stop or up a hill my first assumption was the thermostat but my uncle told me if the radiator and its hoses are getting really hot and the heat inside the car works then the thermostat should be fine which both things are true on my car I don't know what else it could be unless my gauge is bad
Scottyd423

What you described sounds like a thermostat that is stuck open and not allowing the engine to stay warm. Does the heat cool off in the car when it drops back to cold?