POWER STEERING BELT

1995 Toyota Camry • 187,000 miles

My power steering belt is worn, can I drive without one? Just in case it breaks on my way to get the replacement. Also, should I change anything else? Water pump. Pulleys, accessories, tensioners? Not a mechanic but I really need help on this one. Thank you and your feedback will be greatly appreciated.
JayYoung

Don't worry, I'll help. I need to know something. Is there only one belt or does the power steering have its own belt? From what I can see on our homepage, there is a seperate belt for the PS. Let me know.

Yes the PS has its own belt separate from alternator.

JayYoung
Okay. If the power steering belt breaks, you will lose power assist at the steering wheel. In other words, it will get hard to turn the steering. As far as driving it like that, you will need to be careful, but it won't damage anything unless the belt hits something when it comes apart.

How bad is the belt? It really takes a lot for them to break.

Let me know.

Starting unravel.

JayYoung
Thank you again!

JayYoung
Jay: If it is starting to unravel, you really need to get it replaced. As I mentioned, if the belt breaks, it won't cause any damage to the car, but it will become very hard to drive.

Please be careful.