TOYOTA CAMRY GAS PROBLEM

1995 Toyota Camry

My car becomes hard to crack after sitting for a number of hours. When I get up in the morning for work, I have to continuously pat the gas and turn the switch over and over before it starts. I then heard something like a "putting" sound that seems to come from under the hood of the car and then it will catch. I also smell what exhaust or gas. Sometimes it take up to 10 minutes for me to get it going. When I got off of work from an 8 hour shift, I have to do the same thing. Once it's going, I have no problems. It's just after it sits for awhile. One guy said it was the fuel pump going out and another one said it wasn't. My car has been like this for over a year now. One guy adjusted something under the hood that resembled a piece on a cord or wire or something, and it worked for awhile, but soon after went back to the same problem.

http://www.2carpros.com/articles/engine-cranks-excessively-before-starting

Check above link for more information.