1995 Toyota 4Runner Repair Question
Toyota 4Runner Axle Problem
1. Raise and support vehicle. Remove rear wheel and brake drum. Remove brake shoes from backing plate. Disconnect parking brake cable from backing plate.
2. Disconnect and plug brakeline at wheel cylinder. Remove backing plate to axle housing nuts. Remove rear axle shaft with backing plate from axle housing. Remove "O" ring from axle housing.
3. If replacing bearing and oil seal, remove snap ring from rear axle shaft. See Fig. 1 . Using press, press rear axle shaft from backing plate. Remove retainer from rear axle shaft.
4. Remove oil seal from backing plate. Using press, press bearing from backing plate. Install nuts on serration bolts on backing plate. Using soft faced hammer, tap serration bolts from backing plate. Remove bearing
case from backing plate.
5. If replacing oil seal in axle housing, using slide hammer, pull oil seal from end of axle housing. Remove hub bolts and oil deflector and gasket from rear axle shaft (if necessary).
6. Using dial indicator, check rear axle shaft runout at center of rear axle shaft. Replace rear axle shaft if runout exceeds .079" (2.00 mm).
7. Using dial indicator, check flange runout at end of flange near wheel lug nut stud on rear axle shaft. Replace rear axle shaft if flange runout exceeds .008" (.20 mm).
1. Install NEW oil seal in end of axle housing (if removed). Apply grease on lip of oil seal. Install NEW gasket, oil deflector and hub bolts on rear axle shaft (if removed).
2. Install bearing case on backing plate. Using press, install serration bolts. Press NEW bearing in backing plate (if removed). Install NEW oil seal on backing plate.
3. Install rear axle shaft and retainer on backing plate. Ensure flat side of retainer is toward bearing and beveled edge of retainer is toward splined end of rear axle shaft.
4. Using press, press rear axle shaft into bearing and retainer. Install NEW snap ring on rear axle shaft.
5. To install remaining components, reverse removal procedure. Use NEW "O" ring when installing rear axle shaft and backing plate on axle housing. Tighten bolts/nuts to specification. See TORQUE
SPECIFICATIONS . Bleed brake system. For procedures, see BRAKE SYSTEM ANTI LOCK article in BRAKES section.
When qouting rear bearing service with new inner and outer seal, MAKE SURE U ALSO INCLUDE TONE RING AND RETAINER IN PRICE, as they are onlt available from
dealer and no mention in picture or procedure was told this by machine shop dealer has parts available
17,905 answers provided