SUBARU LEGACY BATTERY PROBLEM

1995 Subaru Legacy • 290,000 miles

My car stalled out. It was turning over trying to start and it just wouldn't click. The car has 3/4 tank of gas. Fuel pump was replaced almost 2yrs ago. Oil is reading two quarts too high. The person working on my car has not yet drained the excess oil, this concerns me. The battery does not need a charge, its operating fine. He has switched out the fuel relay, this is not the problem. He has not checked the connection to the fuel pump, or the fuel filter. He is now talking about it being a column issue, and wants to take that apart. Help me! Where should he be starting? I am not a mechanic but taking apart the column does not sound like the first place to start! What do you think the issue could be, and what is the proper list of things to check? Thank you so much!

If it is not even clicking, that is a fault with the starting circuit and you don't even need to be checking the fuel system yet. Either the battery, starter, ignition switch or even a seized engine is the cause of the problem.