HEADLIGHT PROBLEMS

1995 Saturn SL2

On my 1995 Saturn SL2, the passenger side high and low beams are very dim (barely on). I tried replacing the bulbs, but it didn't work. Then I noticed in your other answers that I need to check the ground. However, my connectors have only 2 wires. Your diagnosing steps gave information for only a 3 terminal connection. Could you help? Is this a grounding issue? Which is the ground wire?
Cjc2cp

Here's the first thing you need to do go into the under hood fuse box you will find a left and right head light fuse if one of the fuse's blow it will do what your head light's are doing. See if one of the fuse's are blown.

I have already checked the fuses with a light tester

Cjc2cp
They are good

Cjc2cp
Ok but that sound's just like a blown head light fuse but if you say there good then there good. Test both right head light bulb's orange wire's they should have battery voltage to both of them. Now test the right low beam bulb with the head light's switch on and switched to low beam's. The dark blue wire should have 2 ohms or less to ground. Now check the right high beam bulb with the head light switch on high the pink wire should have 2 ohm's or less to ground. Let me know what you find.

Okay. I went ahead and double checked the fuses. There are 4 of them (10 amp) in the underhood fuse box. They are light testing good.

Both orange wires are getting 12v.

With the OHMs testing, I'm a bit more unfamiliar. I should have the negative battery cable disconnected, right? And then as I test the dk blue and pink wire, should all the other headlight bulbs be connected or does it matter?

I'll do it as soon as I hear from ya : )

Cjc2cp
Okay. I just double checked the fuses in the underhood fuse box. There are 4 of them and they all light test okay.

Both oranges wires are getting 12v.

With the OHMs I am a bit more unfamiliar. I should have the neg. Battery cable disconnected, right? Also, do the other headlight bulbs need to be plugged in while I test the blue and pink wires, or does it matter?

I will test it as soon as I hear from you : )

Cjc2cp
Both battery cable's should be connected it doesn't matter if the head light's you aren't testing are plugged in. The one's you are testing I would unplug. If you are getting battery voltage to the orange wire's then the fuse is good. Connect the black wire of the meter to a good ground you can even use the battery ground post. Then put the meter on low ohm scale and test's the other two wire's like I told you.

Okay. Thanks so far. I tested as you said. They both had a reading of about.665 on the 2k OHMs setting.

Cjc2cp
Alright now put the headlight's on low and test across the two low beam connector terminal's and measure the voltage to it using the ground and power on that circuit. Then do the same to the high beam with the high beam's on. Let me know what the voltage reading's are.

The low beam gets 10.06 v and the high beam gets 11.86v.

Cjc2cp