95 COOLING FAN ISSUE'S

1995 Saturn SL1 • 4 cylinder FWD Automatic • 72,000 miles

Ok so my mom has a 95 SL1 bought brand new and original owner. THe head cracked at 49k and was replaced by shop. The fan doesn't seem to come on for cooling. It does come on when the AC is turned on. I have read it wont come on till 3/4 or almost red but never wanted to find out and cause damage. I leave the car running for heating/cooling for our dog.
WHat I have replaced:
Thermostat
Fan Relay
Fan
Temp sensor

I have also checked the codes and nothing is in the system as well as removing the relay and jumping the power and the fan does come one. I used the paperclip jump method between A and B on the OBD1 plug to check codes and when I did so the Radiator fan came on, hmmm I am baffled
Bigdaddy24

Yeah on that car the fan doesn't come on until at least 3/4 on the temp gauge. SO the first thing you need to do is see if the fan come's on then. You may not even have a problem so which coolant temp sensor did you replace the top one with one wire or the bottom one with two?

SOrry I thought I specified which one, it was the lower one with the 2 wires. I was informed the one with the one wire was just the gauge cluster sensor in the older saturns

Bigdaddy24
You are correct the top one just run's the gauge I just wanted to make sure you replaced the correct one. Also I would inspect the connector that goes to the coolant temp sensor if it's corroded you will have to replace it too. So now you have to let it idle and see where the fan turn's on the temp gauge. Sound's like the fan is working you said it came on when you jump the a and b connector. Let me know what temp on the gauge the fan comes on.

WOW well I actually got the fan to kick on a hair before 3/4 on the temp. I have no idea what degree that is supposed to be but that is flt out retarded to have it so high. That should have been a recall on equipment

Bigdaddy24
The fan kick's on at 222-226 degree's that would be about 3/4 on the temp gauge on the 1991-1995 saturn's it's still not in the read on the gauge. The later saturn's the fan kicked at the same temp they just read a little over half on the temp gauge. So your fan is working correctly nothing to fix there. If you have anymore question's let me know.

Well thank you for the info and I will definitly do so if I have any more issue. TO bad I probably replaced everythign and nothign was wrong except the thermostat was shot lol. I have to replace the cluster cause the speedo only works when its warm in general, and the local dealership thats gone now said it was the cable but it has the VSS so go figure lol

Bigdaddy24
I would check other thing's beside the cluster unless you can smack the cluster and make it work.

SO have you tested to see if the cluster is bad before going to change it?

Well I dont know how to test it. Everything works all the time except the speedo. If the temp is warm outside or the car is warmed up good then it works, if not the speedo either doesnt go up or wont go up to the proper speed till warm but the odometer and rpm's work flawlessly

Bigdaddy24
While the speedometer is inop and your driving down the road try slapping the cluster area and see if the speedometer start's working. If the odometer is working and the speedometer isn't then there is a speed signal making it to the speedometer.

Page 1 of 2