1995 SAAB 900 Repair Question
How to replace a head gasket on 2.3 1995 saab 900
If the head gaskety is blown, you would need to have the cylinder head checked for warpage and refaced if required.Since you are there, lapping the valves and replacing the valve seals would be recommended.
1. Remove intake manifold. Remove turbocharger (if
equipped) and exhaust manifold. Remove 2 timing cover-to-cylinder head bolts. Remove engine mount bolts from cylinder head.
2. Disconnect lead from temperature sender. Remove inspection panel from valve cover. Remove distributor cap and spark plug leads as an assembly. Remove valve cover. Disconnect crankcase ventilation hose. Remove split rubber plugs from cylinder head.
3. Align timing mark on flywheel with "0" mark on flywheel cover. Remove camshaft chain tensioner, camshaft chain and sprockets. Raise engine to permit removal of cylinder head from engine brace. Remove cylinder head bolts in reverse order of tightening sequence. See Fig. 1 .
1. Install guide pin into one bolt hole. Remove cylinder head. Ensure pivoting timing chain guide is not damaged.
2. Lubricate cylinder head bolts and washers before installation. Tighten cylinder head bolts, using several steps, in sequence shown. See Fig. 1 . Tighten bolts to an initial torque of 44 ft. lbs. (60 N.m). Next, tighten bolts to 59 ft. lbs. (80 N.m).
Finally, tighten each bolt an additional 90 degrees.
3. Install 2 timing cover-to-cylinder head bolts. Install timing chain and camshaft sprockets, starting with exhaust valve camshaft. Keep chain taut between sprockets. Lightly tighten sprocket bolts.
4. Adjust chain tensioner by pressing piston and rotating tensioner into locked position. Install tensioner with piston under tension. Tighten bolt. Release tensioner by pressing pivoting guide firmly. Press pivoting guide against chain to release tension. Press pivoting guide to check tensioner operation.
5. Rotate crankshaft 2 complete turns clockwise. Check timing marks on crankshaft and camshafts. To complete installation, reverse removal procedure. Tighten bolts to specification. See TORQUE SPECIFICATIONS .
39,792 answers provided
I am including the instructions, Diagrams, Figures and Specifications to Remove and Replace the cylinder head.
3,292 answers provided