THERMOSTAT

1995 Rover Metro • 60,000 miles

Hi was looking at buying this car which I have listed but have been told that the fan does not cut in when the engine gets hot, they have been told that it is the thermostat and that it shouldn't cost to much to get it fixed, was just wondering if this was true, or is it an even bigger job to have done than they are telling us? Please could you help many thanks S. Carter
Suzi2011

This is a tough one because there are several things that it could be. First though you need to know that if this car has overheated then there is a chance that the head gasket is bad. I would not buy this car until you know for sure that the head gasket is not bad.
As far as the cooling fans not working there are several things that might be causing that. The first thing I would suspect is a cooling fan relay. It could also be a coolant temperature sensor or the cars computer.

Promechanic