PORSCHE 911 FUEL PRESSURE PROBLEM

1995 Porsche 911 • 12,000 miles

What is causing engine stall? While driving along, car stalls w/o warning then starts after a few minutes and runs great again, until the next time, Mechanics are baffled !
Len richan

Check fuel pump pressure. This sounds like vapor lock.

Rivermikerat
Remove the fuel And try driving the car does he do the same thing?

Cadieman
Remove the fuel cap, does it do the same thing?

Cadieman
SO FAR YOU'VE PROVIDED ME WITH ABSOLUTELY USELESS INFO UN RELATED TO THE DESCRIBED PROBEM BECAUSE THE CAR RUNS GREAT UNTIL AND AFTER THE STALL OCCURS !

Len richan
CAN'T BE VAPOR WITH AN ELECT, FUEL PUMP AND FUEL INJECTION

Len richan
Actually, yes, it can be vapor lock. Check the fuel pressure. Vapor lock doesn't occur until heat builds up enough to boil the fuel in the fuel lines.

Rivermikerat
OK I'll try it But wouldn't I have the same problem after it restarts. The problem doesn't recur sometimes for 100 miles or so !

Len richan
Not necessarily. The pump could have cooled down enough to provide adequate pressure and the engine compartment could have cooled down enough to keep the lines from boiling. Be sure the check the pressure once the vehicle reaches operating temp and right when the problem surfaces.

Rivermikerat
It's fairly impossible to check pressure when I'm stuck on a mountain road or a freeway; plus it starts again and runs normal, some times within a minute or two ! Any suggestions on how to catch the problem as it happens in a mechanic's shop?

Len richan
Aside from letting them have it for a few days and filling the tank for them, asking them to idle it and drive it while carrying a fuel pressure gauge? Not really.

What I would recommend is carrying both a fuel pressure gauge and a multimeter or test light with you for awhile. When the problem occurs, check the pressure and check for voltage at the pump.

Is this something that happens on cold and hot days, or just hot days, or just cold days?

Rivermikerat