THE BRAKE LIGHT WILL NOT SHUT OFF

1995 Oldsmobile 98 • 64,000 miles

I have replaced the pads and fluids and the brake light still persists how do I shut off this light. I also have the same issue after an oil change the light will not go out. Please help, thank you in advance
Bcurran90

I would unplug the brake fluid level sensor and jump the two terminals on the harness together and see if the brake warning light shuts off.

The red warning light turns on for low fluid level, the parking brake isn't fully released, or there is an imbalance the two hydraulic systems, typically from a leak.

GM front-wheel drive cars also have a valve in the master cylinder that trips when there is a difference in fluid pressures. That valve will block fluid flow to one front wheel and the opposite rear one. Pedal bleeding and pushing the brake pedal more than half way to the floor will trip that valve. You may never know it's tripped until the pads wear out on one side and start grinding metal-on-metal and the other side looks like new yet.

Thats why I suggested seeing if it was the level sensor by jumping the connector to elimate that and go from there.