MITSUBISHI GALANT VACUUM LEAK PROBLEM

1995 Mitsubishi Galant • 136,000 miles

My son's car has a problem. It idles at 2000 RPM's and it will also does another thing that I have attached a short video of it doing. I have had 2 different places look at it and both think it is the idol air control motor but neither can say for sure if that is the problem. The part itself I am told is about $600 not counting labor and if that does not fix the problem I am out the $600.
The video will not upload says it is invalid.
What happens is the engine will rev and and drop over and over again continually. I have the video and I can probably e-mail it. It is is a windows media player file.

Thank you
John Maser

Have you checked for codes in the computer yet?Also have you looked for a vacuum leak yet?

I am told that no codes were spit out on the computer. I dont know if they checked for vacuum leak. I will ask and reply back

Jm6342
This is the response from the place that has the car now

"We did exstensive vacum leak searches. We could not find any. Our scanners do not communicate with your car so we could not read history codes nor any stored data. We did not retrieve any current codes. We also tried to set base timing and minimum air flow rates as well. (I figured he might ask about those). That is why we are scratching our heads and saying that we should try the IAC valve."

Jm6342
Alright lets assume its bad stuck in one position then what is commanding the idle up and down?It really doesnt make sense to me it being that.

Also which engine do you have?

4 cylinder 2.4 liter automatic trans

Jm6342
Iam sorry i just say your response iam not getting my email responses telling me i got a reply makes it really hard to keep track of and keep up with the responses.Whttp://www.rockauto.com has the iac for that car for 230 plus shipping and i have a 5 percent off discount code for it.It doesnt sound like a stuck iac if it was stuck in one position causing the high idle why would the idle go up and down etc like it does?Also how did they look for vacuum leaks?Did they check and make sure the brake booster wasnt leaking vacuum?