KEY DOE NOT TURN OFF IGNITION

1995 Mercury Sable • 6 cylinder FWD Automatic • 119,000 miles

1995 Mercury Sable the key does not turn off the engine. When you turn the key to start, it engages the starter motor. But it just "spins" when you turn it back until it gets to the accessory position without any feel like it is doing anything. There are none of the usual "catches" when the key is in the run, off, or accessory position. You can remove the key, but nothing turns the car off. I had to pull a couple fuses to get it to stop. I am able to pull the ignition lock cylinder but I wonder if replacing it would do anything or if the problem is deeper so that I would not be able to replace it myself.
SillaryHilly

No, replacing the ignition lock won't do anything. There are 2 possibilities here. There is a sliding rack type of linkage inside the column that commonly breaks or there could be a problem with the electrical ignition switch

Wrenchtech
Ouch but thanks. I was afraid you would say something like that. Because it changed how it feels when the key is turned, I would bet all my money on the linkage. Easy or hard, cheap or expensive fix?

SillaryHilly
Very difficult. Mos of the column has to come apart. You can easily find out which by feeling the switch on top of the column and feeling for the rod responding back and forth when the key is moved.

Wrenchtech