MY CAR ONLY MOVES IN REVERSE.. WHAT TYPE OF TRANS FLUID DOES THIS CAR USE.. I HAVE NO MANUAL..

1995 Mercedes Benz 220cdi • 102,000 miles

I checked the transmission and it is real low on fluid @ around 80 degrees. I don't see any fluild on the Trans dip stick. It does have markings by temp.
Kdzee

The recommended fluid is Dexron-IIE and is checked with engine idling.

If topping up the fluid does not help, you most probably needs a rebuild or replacement.

Thanks for the advice, and the recommended type fluid. I had bought some trans fluid last night, and by reading all the labels, Mercedes was not included.

Kdzee
The recommended grade or equivalent is good enough. For pre y2k models, transmission fluids were mostly not make specific and since then almost all manufacturers have come up with their own blending.

I warmed up the car, then added the transmisson fluld and it still only drives in only reverse. Now I know why the floor shifter was disassembled. I replaced it, to give it the test.

Kdzee
Did you try all forward gears?

Yes, I tried all forward gears. No noise or anything happens at all.

Kdzee
Guess the tran is shot.

Kdzee
You're welcome and sorry to be the bearer of bad news.