MY 95 STALLS WHEN PLACED INTO DRIVE.

1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee • 189,000 miles

I have a 1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee, with 189000 miles. There are no check engine lights, new battery, idles fine. I purchased the vehicle two weeks ago, it drove home fine. While sitting still I shifted the transfer case selector into 4 part time then neutral and then 4 low and back to 2wd. The next day, I started it up and everything seemed fine. I shifted into drive and it stalled similar to a manual transmission. No puttering, the engine just died. I later spent some time moving the transfer case shifter around, which was hard to do. It would go from 2wd to 4 part time easy, but feel like it was blocked from going into neutral no matter how hard I pulled. With the engine running and shifting both selectors around I could move the transfer case selector into neutral. The engine was still running, and I was able to move the vehicle into 1 and 2 without it stalling. I put it into reverse, moved a few feet, put it into drive and it did not stall. I drove the vehicle around the block and parked it. The next day, stalling again as soon as its placed into drive. Half the time it stalls, I hear a high pitched beep. Also, when placed into reverse, there will be a clunk, and the vehicle will raise up an inch. I have researched stalling and they mention sensors, but this feels like its related to the transmission/transfer case. Thank you for your help.
Nikonn80

Something in the tranfer case sounds like it is locking up.

Get it checked asap as you may be doing damage to the case by driving it.