DO I HAVE AIR IN COOLING SYSTEM SINCE I OVERHEATED AND LOST A LOT OF WATER?

1995 Jaguar XJS • 110,000 miles

Good morning.I have a 1995 xjs 4 liter. I have changed the radiator cap with a new one from the Jag dealer but coolant still over flows from the resevoir AFTER engine is shut down. No overheating when running. No obvious signs of head gasket problems. Only runs out from reservoir when I stop.I have noticed however that the temp guage fluctuates appx. 3/16" from one side of the N to the other when I am driving. From that I was wondering if perhaps I might have a thermostat issue, but as I said, the car does not overheat when running (providing there is sufficient water, which occasionally there has not been after I lost it from the resevoir after making a stop!) So may be I have an air lock? If so, how do I purge (burp) the system?
Thanks,
Captain Nick.
Captain nick

Open up the cap check coolant level refill as needed-put heater on Hi start car and then run the engine as you keep filling the radiator till no bubbles are present