BRAKE REPAIR

1995 Isuzu Rodeo • 135,000 miles

Hi guys. I've recently had brake issues with my Rodeo. Long story short, they were neglected before I bought the vehicle. So, I wound up putting new rotors on the rear, new calipers all the way around, new brake hoses on all four wheels and also all new brake pads. After doing all the above, I bled my brakes multiple times (10)+ times, and still ahd a soft brake petal. If I drove it, I had to pump the brakes to stop, and still had almost NO stopping power. So, I replaced the master cylinder. I bench bled it and installed it, bled my brakes at least three more times, and still have a brake petal that goes almost to the floor, and minimal stopping power. Please help! I need to rely on this vehicle for my job. A ny help would be greatly appreciated!
GRUMPYDAD71

Was there any change with the new master cylinder? Are you certain (and I know you most likely are) there are no leaks? Did you bleed the brakes from the farthest to the closest?

Let me know.

The brakes are basiclly the same. I've been under the vehicle from rear to front, and it's been in basiclly the same spot, so I, m pretty certain it's not a leaking line. Yes, I went from furthest bleeded to closest. I'm about out of ideas and money

GRUMPYDAD71
I understand. It can be really frustrating. Reciently, I went through 3 master cylinders till I got a good one. I have another question. Are you certain the plunger rod to the master cylinder isn't adjustable. Some were on the older Isuzus.

I wish I was there with you. It would make things easier.

It was a reconditioned one from autozone. I read the paperwork that came with it, it did'nt say anything about the pushrod being adjustable. Also, for what it's worth, my Haynes repair manual does not say anything about that either. The only thing I know of that's adjustable is the rod out of the vaccum booster? I don't know much about that.

GRUMPYDAD71
That is where your problem lies. You need to adjust it out. What is happening is you are not fully depressing the master cylinder. Adjust it out slowly so it pushes the piston in the master cylinder further in. I usually go about 1/2 inch at a time until I am happy with the pedal.

Let me know if that helps.