NOISE FROM ENGINE/BAY

1995 Hyundai Elantra • 13,000 miles

Hi

I have a 1995 Hyundai Elantra (J1) and whenever I start the car up, a loud vibrating/rattling noise comes from somewhere in the engine bay. It doesn't sound as if anything is loose though. To narrow it down:

The noise is there only when the car has been standing for a while;
It only makes the noise between (roughly) 1500rpm and 3000rpm;
After the engine warms up, the noise disappears.

Any helpful suggestions/info would be highly appreciated!
Rhino3k

Could be a valve lifter leakdown problem if its coming from the upper part of the engine

It sounds as if its coming from where the pulleys are. The noise is now permanent.

Thanks a lot.

Rhino3k
Sounds like you need to open the front cover and investigate the T/Belt, Tensioner pulley, idler pulley, counter shafts

I have managed to remove some parts around the noise and discovered that when I push the tensioner pulley down, the loud knocking noise disappears. Could it be that the auto tensioner pin knocking against the tensioner arm is causing this noise? I removed the tensioner pulley and noticed a gap between the auto tensioner pin and tensioner arm.

Please help
attached is an image for convenience

Rhino3k
Replace the auto tensioner and arm