THE STARTER IS DRAGGING IN MY

1995 GMC Jimmy • 99,999 miles

I have a 1995 GMC jimmy. The starter is dragging when it gets warmed up. I've replaced the starter, cleaned all connections and made sure the battery was fully charged. A friend told me it was probably a sensor. My question is which senor or sensors would cause my starter to drag when vehicle is warmed up.
Valhoelscher

What do you mean by drag?

Cranking slowly.

Valhoelscher
No sensor would do that. Did you check the ground connections at transmission end? Try a jumper wire between the battery negative terminal and a good ground at engine side to test.

A fully charged battery does not mean that it has a good high rate discharge when required. Did you try a jump start to see if it is any better?

No it's very intermittent. When the vehicle is driven a lot during a daily trip it will sometimes crank real slow other times it won't. It's worse when it is hot outside.

Valhoelscher
Was problem the reason for replacing the starter?

System is not equipped with relay so I believe the wiring is at fault. During hot weathers the resistance increases thereby reducing the output of the current to the solenoid. One way of solving the problem is to install a relay to get direct current from the battery to starter solenoid.

Yes it was I was hoping it was a bad starter. It wasn't

Valhoelscher
Thanks for the help everyone.

Valhoelscher
You're welcom.

Have a great weekend.