MECHANIC USED BLACK HOSE FOR FUEL LINES

1995 Geo Prizm • 27,900 miles

I have a mobile mechanic fix my fuel lines and he used two black rubber hoses. They were fairly soft and had fibres in them. He also put in a metal breather line. He tied it in with zip ties. The job looks very neat and most of it is stuck in a crack under the car. How long do you think a set up like this will last? He charged me 300 for that. What would a complete fuel line job have cost me.

Also he replaced my brake lines for 430. This took about 2 hours with two guys I noticed later that the break line on the passenger side is hanging down about 3 inches from the pavement. There is nothing to tie it too on that side so I guess thats why he left it like that. I bought about an oz of super glue and am planning on gluing it to the frame then coating it with JB auto weld. Think that will work? What would a legit brake line job have cost me?
Brantcoyle

If he used rated rubber fuel line hose for the pressure of the system, it will be fine, the hose will be printed with what it is compatible with, as for the brake like, there should be some form of clamp if he ran the pipe as designed, with it hanging down this is very dangerous, he is responsible for making this work safe, I would re call him to rectify this ASAP. You will have to contact a local brake work shop for a quote on this repair.

Mhpautos
I don't remember seeing the brake line hanging down when I first looked at the repair. I assume it fell from the clamp. It is running from the front to the back tire. If the clamp is too disintigrated to use would the JB weld idea work?

Brantcoyle
I am guessing that 730 for this job is probably fair since I was quoted 1000 to 2000 from NTB. They told me I had leaks everywhere and to just get a new car. I just dont want to crash and burn. It seems to stop and run fine though.

Brantcoyle
No, I would go get a few electrical saddle clamps and secure to under body with tek screws.

Mhpautos
I used adel clamps for the brake line. I checked the markings on the hose he used for fuel lines. It's SAE J 1532 30020 5/16th x 7.9mm This is what the hose is.
ShoTransmission Oil Cooler Hose

This SAE Standard covers hose intended for use with automatic transmission cooling system applications. Type A hoses are intended for original equipment or replacement applications while Type B hoses are intended for aftermarket auxiliary cooler applications only. The reference fluid for tests requiring the use of automatic transmission fluid (ATF) shall be Dexron III / Mercon 5 or equivalent ATF that is agreed to by hose> manufacturer and customer.

Should I be worried?

Brantcoyle
Also looking under the car. He only tied the hoses to the breather tube with plastic ties. Is there a better way to clamp it to the car? I am wondering how long this will last til it needs to be redone.

Brantcoyle
I would be using a specific fuel rated hose, I would contact the mechanic and request that this be replaced.

Mhpautos
Hm, went elsewhere and they said it was ok.

No it's not the same, but it will work. We buy trans line and use it on fuel injection systems on our 4x4's all the time. Around here injection hose is like $3 a foot! We buy trans line for $.89 a foot. I've ran it on my samurai for the last 4 years with 0 leaks or problems.

Brantcoyle
That all depends on what state you live in. It has to be rated fuel line if you live in California because of the effects of the MTBE in the gas.

Like my Aussie friend stated, contact the mechanic and tell him to fix it correctly or you will report him to the BBB and the state's automotive repair bureau/attorney general.

Rivermikerat