MY BOYFRIEND HAS A MUSTANGE AND THE OIL PUMP KEEPS LOCKING UP

1995 Ford Mustang

My boyfriend has a 1995 for mustange and the oil pump keeps locking up, hes replaced the oil pump twice and both times it locks up on him two days later. This last time when he took the rod out from the old oil pump it was completely twisted. Now I understand that it must be the engine since the engine is what controls the oil pump, but is there possibly another alternative to rebuilding or buying an engine. It seems to me that there must he some type of blockage in the engine. How do you go about dyagnoising and fixing a problem like this before going out a buing or rebuilding your engine? Is this a common problem with this make and model of mustang? Any help would greatly be appreciated.
Sincearly,
J.A
Janders2188

What's the engine size? I guessed and looked at a pump for a 5.0L. Nothing in the engine is going to cause the pump to lock up. The first thing to do is autopsy an old one to see if it can be turned by hand. If it can, it's not locked up. A stuck pressure relief valve will strain the pump and make it so hard to turn that the drive shaft could twist.

If the pumps really are stuck, remove the cover and find out why it won't turn. There is likely going to be debris stuck between the gears. If there's metal chunks in there, something is coming apart in the engine and the pickup screen isn't catching it.

Yes, I agree, if he's pulling metal shards into his oil pump and locking it, he's got a horrible problem somewhere else. It sounds to me like he's lucky to have his engine run at all. I'm sorry this is mid-August, and you posted your question in mid-April, and I just now found it. I'm curious to know if he took the pump apart, and what he found in it?

Happy motoring!

Jeffrey

JeffreyDJudson