PROBLEMS WITH 95

1995 Ford Escort • 4 cylinder FWD Automatic • 120,000 miles

I have a 95 Ford Escort with the 1.9 liter engine and 120,000 miles. It was running just fine until a couple of days ago my wife shut the car off and then it would crank over but not start. I got it started again, but it would barely idle and ran really rough. I read through the forum here and found out a bad IAC valve could be the culprit. I took off the old valve, cleaned it, and put it back on. It helped some, but I took it off again and saw the plunger was messed up. I bought and installed a brand new IAC valve, put everything back together and tried it out. Now I have the opposite problem. The car idles too high and surges. I tried to drive it, but it has no power. There are no check engine lights on. Do you have any suggestions? I am not real mechanical so any help will be appreciated.
Knightcrawlr10

Clean out the idle air control valve ports/throttle body and clean the MAF sensor with an electronic cleaner and also test the TPS sensor