FORD ASPIRE ENGINE PROBLEM

1995 Ford Aspire • 246,000 miles

My car is a 2 door, 1.3l engine, 5 speed manual.I live in Las Vegas and I went to get the yearly smog inspection. My issue is the car will not pass and I have had the car for 6 years.
what happened is the hydrocarbon reading is way above the limits. It failed. Before I went to have the test done, I tuned the car up.I changed the spark plugs, cap, rotor, PCV valve, ignition wires and oil change. The car is fuel injected.
The engine runs rough, I can not get the car to idle smooth and it will not stay in it's range. The idle goes up and down, sometimes so low it will stall, and sometimes as high as 2000 rpm.I have not tampered with the timing or any
electronic parts or equipment. When the stalls, or when I start it cold, it starts up with no problem. It does not knock or hesitate. It runs and drive great. Mileage has decreased lightly.I
I have tried to adjust the idle by adjusting the throttle cable by putting more tension on the cable, and adjusting the
throttle blade screw. Then the "CHECK ENGINE" light comes on.I do not have a code scanner. OBD1.
I am a auto/diesel mechanic.I work on public transportation buses. Is their a way to retrieve fault codes without a scanner, like cycling the ignition key?SORRY THIS IS SO LONG, I"M DESPERATE. If you need more info, please respond by phone @702-824-6375 or e-mail @ caravellabob@yahoo. Com.
Todays date-11/16/2012. Time-7: 24 am.

Sincerely,
Robert(Bobby) Caravella.
Bobnlynn