95 1500

1995 Dodge Ram • V8 4WD Automatic • 130,000 miles

I have a 95 dodge ram 1500 5.9 with 130kmi that runs great until warms up or goes into closed loop, Then the truck is harder and harder to keep running while it gets hot. You really have to stay on the gas to keep it running if you let off it will spit skip and sometimes backfire when getting back on the gas. Replaced just about everything other then crank sensor, and cant find any air or intake leaks. Any ideas would be a great help.
95 dodge

You might consider a collapsing pickup screen inside the gas tank. Typically it will run better at highway speeds and much worse when you coast. A clue can be found by disconnecting the vacuum hose from the fuel pressure regulator and plugging it. You might see black smoke from the exhaust but it will run better.

Tried the hose and no luck still runs the same. Runs fine till about 140-160 temp then it slowly idels down and shuts off. When I restart without giving gas it skip and stalls. Sometimes you hear a pressure release on stall. If I give it gas it will run and if I hold the gas at a certain rpm the hotter it gets the more gas you need to give to keep it running.

95 dodge
Took the truck for a drive and had to get towed back. Once it reached normal operating temp it was impossible to keep it running. Sounded like missfire, lack of gas, no power, backfire, and spit and sputter. Could a crank sensor cause this kind of condition? Any advice would be helpful.

95 dodge
Crank sensors often fail when warm and work again after cooling down for a half hour to an hour. Part of what you describe also sounds like a failing MAP sensor. It has the biggest say in how much fuel enters the engine but even though it can report the wrong vacuum readings, as long as those readings are between the acceptable limits, it won't set a fault code. One clue to a failing MAP sensor is the engine will continue to run as long as the gas pedal is moving.