WILL NOT START

1995 Chevrolet Truck • 145,000 miles

The truck will sit there and turn over but will not start and run before it shut down on me the voltage meter in the dash dropped out and the truck shut down and this was saturday.
Bradm

Does it get fuel? Spark?

Rivermikerat
We went out and its getting a mist I took the fuel pump relay out and it didnt get any thing but yes on spark

Bradm
Charge the battery completely. Use a starting fluid in the air horn to see if that coaxes it into starting. Loosen the distributor hold down bolt and slowly turn the distributor as a helper cranks it over. If it starts. Fine tune the timing and lock down the distributor.

Rivermikerat
OK the starter fluid made it act like it wanted to start but just couldn't do it. Would it be the fuel filter clogged

Bradm
No. The starter fluid ruled that out. It's either timing or spark. How strong of a spark did it get? Are all 8 cylinders getting the same strength of spark?

Pull #1 plug and rotate the engine until the #1 piston is at the top of its rotation. Look in the plug hole to see. Check the crankshaft dampener. You should see a groove in it. This groove should be aligned with a timing mark. Clean the timing indicator and read the number. What is it? If the truck has a distributor, remove the cap and see what plug wire tower the rotor is pointing at. It should be #1. If not, rotate the engine by hand another 180 degrees until the piston is back up top and check the dampener mark and the rotor. Don't rotate the engine and try to line the rotor up with the wire. Rotate it to bring the piston to what we call top dead center on the compression cycle.

Rivermikerat