95 STARTING ISSUES

1995 Chevrolet Lumina • 6 cylinder • 135 miles

I recently ran into a problem with a 95 chevy lumina sedan with a 3.1 When I turn the key it does not crank, just the selonoid clicks. Now my first thought was just the starter was bad, however I brought it upto the parts store and they tested it and the volts and amps are within good operating specs. The part dealer mentioned a starter switch below the steering coloumn but its 60$ and would be non refundable if I purchased it. Is there any way to diagnose this problem further before having to bring it into the shop? Any help is greatly appreciated.
Dkleinjr

If the only thing you hear is a click, make sure the battery terminals are clean and tight. Make sure the ground to the engine is tight and clean. Check battery cables too. Next, have a helper turn the key to the start position while you check for power to the smaller wire on the starter. If you get 12 volts, it sounds like a bad starter. Honestly, the fact that you hear the solenoid engage tells me the ignition switch is okay. I would remove the starter and have it bench tested at the parts store. It may have a good solenoid but the starter itself is bad. Thus, you hear a click.