MYSTERIOUS BLACK TUBE NOT ATTACHED TO ANYTHING

1995 Chevrolet Corsica • 140,000 miles

I happened to catch this when I was changing out my air filter. When I tried to move it around, the tube broke in the middle.
Sarah B

There should be a vacuum line connected to it. Look for one that is connected to nothing or plugged off.

Rivermikerat
I forgot to say, the other end wasn't attached to anything.

Sarah B
Replace the vacuum line, the get brittle over time. Find a source of vacuum to plug the line into. There should be a vacuum diagram under the hood somewhere. Chevy usually puts them either on the underside of the hood or on the fan shroud.

Rivermikerat
That's not a vacuum line. It is a breather tube that inserts into a grommet if the rear valve cover.

Wrenchtech
I'll defer to you on this Wrenchtech in the presumption your eyes are better than mine.

Rivermikerat
I don't see it any better. I just have had to reattach may of them doing the intake on 3.1s.

They are calling is a "Crankcase Vent tube"

Wrenchtech
Thank you for your replies : )

So if it is broken off, can is it ok to drive?

Sarah B
It's not an emergency but you don't want to leave it that way too long.

Wrenchtech
Can I drive with out it?

Sarah B
Cool, Thank you. Where can I buy a replacement? I've checked the usual places but no luck

Sarah B