AUTOMATIC COLUMN SHIFTER

1995 Chevrolet Blazer • 160,000 miles

When I put the shifter in park, the shift indicator on the dashboard does not light in the park position. All the other shift indicator lights work. When the park light does not light, the blazer will roll and you hear a clicking noise. Also, when the indicator light does not light, the blazer will not start unless I put the shifter in neutral. It is like the shifter does not go completely in park and isstill partly in reverse. Sometimes when I put it in park, the reverse indicator light is lit. I don't see any adjustment for the shifter cable. I see two electrical connectors on the side of the transmission, but do not know what they are for or if there is any adjustment that could be done. Any help is appreciated. Thanks! Good thing the emergency brake works.
Dave Brooks

It sounds like you are correct and it isn't shifting into park. Try this. Disconnect the linkage (make sure the parking brake is on) and shift it by hand to see if it always goes into park. If it does, check the linkage to make sure it is tight and nothing is bent or damaged.