WHAT CAN CAUSE A LOUD KNOCKING NOISE AND HOW MUCH IS AVERAGE REPAIR COST

1995 Cadillac SLS • 140,000 miles

I have a 95 sls I bought it with 120k miles on it, it has leaked oil since I got it but ran and still does run strong. I went on vacation came back 5 days later and started the car to drive it to work bout 1t miles down the road it started knocking the oil pressure and level where fine it now feels as if there is a miss and the car wants to shut off at idle. Obviuosly I haven't driven it anymore. Any advice?
Skinny1983

It sounds like a bad wrist pin. I had a car that I drove for almost a year with a loud knock and took some long trips in it.
You probably need an engine rebuild.
It will be in the neighborhood of $3000-$4000, depending on where you get it fixed.

I had a car that knocked cold but warmed up it went away and it was wrist pins when I took it apart they were gummed tight with varnish. I didn't know what was knocking if I had known it was pins I would have tried a solvent varnish remover first.

Fixitmr
Would I need to take the engine apart to use the varnish remover?

Skinny1983
I would have tried without taking engine apart if I knew that was problem beforehand. But like I said, my noise went away after thorough warm up.

Fixitmr