TRUNK PULL-DOWN MALFUNCTION

1995 Cadillac Seville • V8 FWD Automatic • 208,000 miles

The trunk pull-down doesn't work on my 1995 Cadillac SLS. I've installed three (3) tested-good, used, replacement motors and none of them have worked. I've replaced the activation switch mounted on the trunk lid with a used one (don't know if it's good or not, don't know how to test it) and still no result. There are three wires going into the pull-down. One is power, one is ground. A voltmeter on these wires gives 12. Xx volts. Somebody told me that when you activate the trunk-lid-mounted switch the third wire becomes the active ground and the motor pulls down. This doesn't happen. There is no change when the trunk lid switch is activated.
Keith
Kjhansen49

Trunk switch in latched positon provides ground in unlatched provides power. This action reverses polarity of motor. Does trunk light come on?

Docfixit
Yes, the trunk light comes on and goes off when the trunk lid switch is moved, as appropriate.

Kjhansen49
Suspect switch is faulty

Docfixit
If you ground the striker on the motor assy. It should run down and you hear a click and it runs back up and clicks. If you close the trunk it stays up. Youll need to replace the pulldown switch on the motor assy.

Cadieman
Which part is the striker? The loop? If I understand correctly then, attach the plug to the motor and ground the striker (the loop) the motor will run down then up? I tried that--I wrapped a wire around the loop as tightly as I could then wrapped it around one of the bolts that holds the mounting plate (not the motor) to the trunk. It didn't work, so maybe I don't know what the striker is or maybe the motor is bad?

Kjhansen49
The striker is the loop. Ground the loop and there is a small switch on the latch when you push it the motor will run up and down if it will not run and the motor is hot its staying on. You will have to replace the pull down switch on the motor assy. After you remove the switch. You need to unbolt the striker and remove it from the housing. Inspect the gear for being broken. If ok reassemble and install new pulldown switch.

Cadieman
OK, tried that, no result. The motor doesn't get hot because it doesn't run. I've looked for the pull down switch on GM parts on an official GM parts website, but no luck. It will sell me the whole actuator assembly for over $220. So, where do I find a switch or how can I fix the one I have? I disassembled my old one (not the supposedly working one). Where do you think the point of failure is? It looks pretty simple except for the resistor you can see in the top of it.

Kjhansen49
Those pics are not right. Remove the pulldown cover and check the pulldown, you will see a black switch on top of the motor assemably remove the switch and the striker from housing. Check for a broken gear. Then reassemable and replace the switch. Pick up a switch at the dealer.

Cadieman
I think we're not communicating. The pull down is removed from the car--there is no pull down cover to remove. There is only one switch and it's just like the one I took apart and showed the pictures of above. Below is a picture of the "new" (used) pull down assembly, including the switch, and a picture of just the switch that I disassembled and took pictures of, above. It's just like the black switch on the assembly. I've had the original assembly completely apart and there are no other switches, just two connectors that go into the motor. Am I missing something?

Kjhansen49
You need remove the striker from the plastic housing. Their is a plastic gear on the striker check if its broken then reassemble and replace the switch assy.

Cadieman