I JUST CHECKED MY OIL AND IT SMELLS LIKE GASOLINE. WHAT DOES THIS MEAN?

1994 Toyota Corolla • 29,111 miles

I have a 1994 Toyota Carolla. I just checked my oil and it smells like gasoline. What does this mean?
Sophisticatedlady 101

It could e running rich which means a small amount of fuel gets down in the oil.

Change the oil and filter

In response to your answer what caused the small amount of fuel to get mixed into the oil where I will need a new oil filter?

Age of the vehicle and mileage. Do you have a running issue? Is there any other issues with the car?

Hi Roy thanks for answering my questions. And yes to your question, the car is running kind of hard. I recently had an oil change and new sparkplugs added. I thought this would help the car to run more smoothly but it still runs kind of hard. Mechanically speaking, what caused the gasoline to mix is it a seal problem or something similar?

Unburnt fuel gets by the rings and down to the crankcase. Get the motor checked out as to why it is running rough

Is the Check Engine Light indicating and have you checked for trouble codes?